|Thabane Sutu, the newest member of the Kentucky Youth Soccer Hall of Fame...|
Former Lesotho goalkeeper Thabane Sutu has been inducted into the Kentucky Youth Soccer Hall of Fame in the United States.
The Kentucky Soccer Hall of Fame is a joint project of the youth and adult soccer associations who govern soccer in Kentucky as members of the United States Soccer Federation and FIFA.
The Hall of Fame was developed in 2008 to honour the outstanding achievements of individuals positively impacting soccer in the state of Kentucky.
The Kentucky Youth Soccer association said Sutu was being inducted into its Hall of Fame for “the contributions, success and the positive impact (he) made upon the game in Kentucky”.
The purpose of Kentucky Soccer Hall of Fame is to:
· To honour the outstanding achievements and contributions of individuals whose significant accomplishments and effect upon the sport in Kentucky merit the highest recognition
· To promote the sport of soccer to both the soccer community and to the general public
· To honour those who contributed to the growth of soccer in the Commonwealth of Kentucky
· To provide future generations with exemplary citizenship role models
· To build and bring public attention to the sport of soccer
Sutu was inducted for his work with United 1996 Futbol Club and Louisville City FC.
Sutu, who captained Lesotho from 1994 to 1997, moved to the US in 1998 and in 2001 began working at United 1996 FC, a prominent youth programme in Kentucky where he eventually became technical director. In 2015, the former Likuena goalkeeper was head-hunted to join Louisville City when it was formed to campaign in the second division United Soccer League (USL). As goalkeeper coach he helped the team win the USL Cup in 2017.
Last month Sutu joined Orlando City in the top-flight Major League Soccer (MLS).
Sutu was recognised at the 2018 Hall of Fame luncheon in Lexington on August 11 along with two other inductees for this year – Nathan Love and Andrew Farrell.
The induction is the latest achievement in a long list for Sutu.
As part of his glittering playing career Sutu won the Arab League title in 1995 and three straight Egyptian league titles from 1994 to 1996 with Al Ahly.