Quote of the week

“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Namibia 0-0 Lesotho

International Friendly Result
Monday, 31 October
Namibia 0-0 Lesotho
Independence Stadium
Windhoek, Namibia

Likuena winger Katleho Moleko (right) tussles with Namibia's
Steven Sabatha

Likuena Starting Line-up
Mohau Kuenane
Thabo Masualle      Nkau Lerotholi     Moitheri Ntobo ©     Thapelo Mokhehle
Motlalepula Mofolo       Ralekoti Mokhahlane
Katleho Moleko                                                  Tšeliso Sejake
Thulo Ranchobe
Lawrence Molengoane

Dlomo Monapathi for Molengoane
Mosiuoa Boseka for Tšeliso Sejake
Tšoanelo Koetle for Motlalepula Mofolo

Original match report from Namibia Sport
A young Namibia team and Lesotho played to a goalless draw in an international friendly at Windhoek’s Independence Stadium on Monday night.

There was not much to enthuse about in a match that lacked sparkle and excitement while the poor turnout of about 200 people also detracted from the occasion.  Furthermore, the floodlights on the south side of the ground were not working, resulting in poor visibility.

It was new Namibia caretaker coach Bernard Kaanjuka’s first match in charge and he used the occasion to introduce a number of young players who had come through the Under-20 and Under-23 ranks.

These included wingbacks Steven Sabatha and Ananias Gebhard and midfielders Willy Stephanus, Larry Horaeb and Petrus Shitembi. The only experienced players in the squad in fact were captain Heini Isaacks and goalkeeper Arnold Subeb who was recalled to the national side for the first time in seven years.

Namibia was all over Lesotho in the opening quarter with Stephanus in particular creating some chances with his speedy dribbles. He had two shots that went narrowly wide while Isaacks also came close with some early efforts.

Horaeb also supplied some good crosses from his wing but Sidney Urikhob headed straight at Lesotho keeper Mohau Kuenane, while another cross just missed Urikhob and Ananias Gebhardt.
Namibia’s best chance came on 35 minutes when Stephanus sent through a defence splitting pass to Sidney Urikhob. From an acute angle, Urikhob managed to beat the outrushing Kuenane but the ball rolled inches past the far post.
Lesotho came more in the game in the second half and nearly scored in the 55th minute when a cracking shot by Ralekoti Mokhahlane crashed off the goalpost.
Bryan Bantam and Ronald Ketjijere came on for Namibia in the second half and Bantam especially soon made his presence felt. He combined well with Stephanus and Isaacks, and some quick passes between the three in the 65th minute set Petrus Shitembi clear but his shot bounced off the goalpost.
Alfeus Handura, who came on for Shitembi, also provided some good crosses and from one Sydney Urikhob hit the back of the net, but the goal was disallowed because the ball had gone out of play before.
The final quarter was a bit aimless as neither side created many opportunities, although Kuenane did well to tip a 30-metre cracker by Bantam over for a corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment