Quote of the week

“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

From The Archives - Kabelo Mosothoane

This week From The Archives brings you one of Lesotho’s finest ever products – Kabelo Mosothoane. KB, as Mosothoane came to be affectionately known, officially retired in August 2010 after an illustrious career that saw him win two league titles, play for South African giants Orlando Pirates and score a bunch of goals. Sit back and enjoy.

Kabelo Mosothoane (left) in Linare colours
Despite being born in Botswana – Kanye to be exact – it was always written in Leribe’s indigo stars that Kabelo Mosothoane would one day don Linare’s famous green and white jersey.
It wasn’t just because his father, Pitso Mosothoane, had starred in the club’s championship winning sides of the late 70’s, or because of the goals KB plundered during Hlotse High School lunch breaks, but because growing up Linare was the only thing that mattered.
“Football was the only sport then,” Mosothoane recalls. “You’d play everyday and then go watch games on weekend – that’s where your love grew.” The fact that Tse Tala were good of course also helped and the boy who grew up idolising Linare midfield linchpin Thulo Leboela matured into a fresh-faced 19 year-old who scored a hat-trick on his Linare debut against Rovers in 1993.
Now 35 Mosothoane speaks to at the end of an illustrious 16-year career.
The first thing he admits regret to is his always brief and trophyless stays at his beloved Linare. In his first spell, nearly 20 years ago, school cut his time short. After a bright start to 1993 Mosothoane had enrolled at the National University of Lesotho by the end of it.
Luckily, he would become an integral part of the most successful Rovers side in history.
“If were to pick my best time it would have to be at Rovers,” Mosothoane glows, “I played my best football there.”
And at that time Rovers were the best. In 1996 the Roma boys won the league then won the top four before venturing into an unforgettable African adventure in 1997.
As champions of Lesotho, Mosothoane and his mates battled Malawi’s kings, Telecom Wanderers – now MTL Wanderers – in the Champions League. The aggregate score… 5-1 to Rovers. “At that time they were called Telecom Wanderers, I don’t know what they are called now,” Mosothoane chuckles, “But after we drew 0-0 in Malawi we came back to beat them 5-1 here.”
With Malawi’s finest disposed of next up was South African giants Orlando Pirates. After a 1-0 first leg loss in Johannesburg Rovers brought Pirates back to the Setsoto Stadium.
“I had never seen Setsoto that packed,” Mosothoane says. “The match itself was tense; we knew we had to score one goal. (But) we were confident enough, even those (players) who initially had fear (of Pirates) were fine after the first leg.”
Sadly, despite gallant efforts and tantalizing opportunities, that goal never came – 0-0, Rovers out.
“We had very a balanced team, we had everything,” Mosothoane says. “We had players like Khauta Monyobi, Mpekeleli Lihohlo, and the late Isiah Phakisi.”
Mosothoane’s performances caught the eye of Pirates and he was approached to join the South African team for the start of the 1997/1998 season. “It was that thing of excitement, that Pirates want to sign you,” Mosothoane recalls. “I didn’t even take time to think about it, I just told myself that I’m going and everything I’ll see in the future.”
“I was a bit scared, especially arriving to people you believed were not like you,” Mosothoane says of his first training session. “But what helped me is that most of the players at the time spoke Sesotho.”
However he couldn’t play. In South Africa’s top-flight only five foreigners can be registered per season. Pirates had that quota – indeed Mosothoane was one of two surplus foreigners.
“Before I signed I was told that two foreign players would leave,” Mosothoane remembers. “But that didn’t happen.”
Instead a young bustling 23 year-old had to endure a frustrating season in the wilderness.
“It was tough because I trained with the first team… Williams Okpara, Gavin Lane, (Jerry) Skhosana. I was part of the team but I knew that even if I did well I still wouldn’t play at the weekend,” Mosothoane says ruefully. “I spoke to (Pirates owner Irvin) Khoza towards the end of the season but he told me to be patient, he said he had plans for me, but what kind of plans he never told me,” he continues.
Things didn’t get much better, in fact they got worse, after a season of strife at the club Pirates coach Viktor Bondarenko was fired and in came Nigerian Shaibu Amodu.
“I was patient but the team didn’t do well; a new coach came in and he brought in two strikers of his own. I was overlooked and those two strikers were registered. So I again I was in the cold,” Mosothoane says.
After unsuccessful China trials midway through that 1998/1999 season, Mosothoane decided it was time to leave Pirates. “I left without saying a word,” Mosothoane says. “From what I had seen, Pirates just discarded their former players to fend for themselves. So I thought what more for me, a player who is not playing. I decided to quit.”
The following season was spent at Bloemfontein Celtics, but despite the club’s willingness to sign him Mosothoane couldn’t play because he didn’t have his clearance from Pirates. In effect three seasons of talent had been ruined.
“What I regret is that I never got a chance to play,” Mosothoane says of his time across the border. “I was at my peak at the time. I had trained well and in the few friendlies I played I did well. I just needed that opportunity to prove myself like others who’ve gone to South Africa, (Lehlohonolo) Seema or Lebajoa (Mphongoa,) to see whether I would fail or succeed,” he says.
Nevertheless Mosothoane refuses to cast a dark cloud over his time at Pirates and Celtics, “I can’t complain about the treatment I received,” he says.
“I learnt a lot, playing with many different players, different coaches, being a full time professional, discipline” Mosothoane adds. “It helped me in my life in general the things.”
After finally receiving his clearance from Pirates in 2002 Mosothoane returned home and joined Linare. “I told myself that I was done with playing abroad. There was also pressure coming from my family, they were telling me there was no use frustrating myself with football, they were against it,” he says.
Mosothoane spent two seasons at Linare but his performances caught the roving eye of Bishop Molatoli at Likhopo and again he was off. Mosothoane moved to Maseru’s Likhopo and helped them to an historic 2004/05 Premier League title. “Likhopo didn’t have any pressure at all. They didn’t have a huge crowd, and I was playing with young players so there was no pressure at all,” he says.
In 2007 Mosothoane returned to Linare once more. “My father asked me to come back to Linare to help. I wasn’t coming back, but as my father he persuaded me,” Mosothoane says. Tse Tala though remained trophy-less. “I have achieved at all the clubs I’ve played for except Linare which is disappointing,” Mosothoane says.
But in such a long career there are moments more treasured than medals.
“My very first game for Likuena (in 1993) against DRC (at Setsoto) was special,” Mosothoane glows. “I remember when I was told I was coming on – trying to do my laces and the chair was shaking. I so nervous,” he smiles, “But I was lucky and I scored the equaliser end the game finished 1-1. That’s one of my fondest moments, it launched my career.”
And the celebration? “I remember just running, not knowing where I was going. My teammates had to stop me,” Mosothoane smiles.
One last question “KB”… will your son follow in the family traditions and become a third generation Mosothoane to play for Linare?
“No, I don’t think so,” Mosothoane laughs. “You have to give your child freedom – it’s not like the old days!”
July 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment